Monday, January 17, 2011

Half-moon manicure

I've hopped on the bandwagon! This week I decided to try to calm myself and continue with the simple designs. What better way to do it than by following the current trend of half-moon manicures!


What I used:
  • Base coat: Avon Nail Experts Smooth Beginnings Base Coat
  • Gold half-moons: Savvy Nail Lacquer in Golden Honey -- 1 coat
  • Blue color: OPI Nail Lacquer in Ski Teal We Drop -- 2 coats, applied over some circular reinforcement label stickers  used as guides
  • Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
What I've learned:
  • I had no idea what I was doing. First off, you don't paint the moons on afterward. You paint the bottom color over your entire nail, then put the next color on top so that a moon-shaped hole shows the color beneath. This is actually my second try at the same colors in a half-moon manicure because the night before I had done the blue first, then painted on the half-moons by hand. Didn't look so great, even when I slept on it gave myself time to get used to it. 
  • Reinforcement labels are key. I suck at drawing the half moon shapes, and the reinforcement label technique worked wonders. The only bad thing is that if you have sensitive, dry fingers like I did the day I painted these, removing the stickers may hurt your skin a little bit. They're permanent stickers so when they stay on, they stay on. (They're not super sticky like duct tape or anything but they still hurt, so I'm throwing that warning at you)
  • I still love that color. I love this blue color. Seriously. I want all my clothes to be that color. (not really but you get what I mean)

No comments:

Post a Comment